History

Chinese Grace Faith Mission (CGFM) was founded by Rev. John Lee Young in October 1934.  This ministry was supported primarily by Mr. and Mrs. James Muir, of Camden, NJ. Mother & Daddy Muir, as everyone called them, were Pastor Young’s spiritual parents, helping him through Elim Bible Institute.  Pastor Young then started CGFM in his apartment at 63 Chrystie Street in New York City.

In 1939, CGFM moved downstairs to a storefront in the same building.  2 years later, Pastor Young rented the basement to teach Sunday School and Chinese School classes. Later on, a baptismal pool was added to hold baptism services. In 1952, the current facility at 65 Chrystie Street was purchased, with renovation projects completed in 1954 and 1992.

Many faithful workers and volunteers supported CGFM in its early days.  Miss Bessie Wing would play piano for Tues. evening services before Pastor Young preached in both Chinese and English.  Miss Marie A. Olson, a Norwegian nurse, came to CGFM to help on her days off. Mother Muir also started the Thanksgiving Luncheon, an annual tradition that is still held today.

After many years, CGFM evolved into Grace Faith Church (GFC), a primarily English-speaking church. Since 2004, GFC has been affiliated with the Christian and Missionary Alliance. Several men have been called to pastor at GFC, including our current pastor, Pastor Jesse Eng. After 80-plus years of ministry, GFC is among the few churches in New York City oriented towards the English-speaking Asian community. Our hope is that GFC will be a lasting presence of Christ among the many in NYC’s Chinatown.

Share:Email this to someoneShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on LinkedInShare on Tumblr